2068r
Eddie
Europa TC
1972 2068R

Offline ezuskin

Re: 2068R
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2015, 06:10:15 PM »
Trying to outsmart photo too large from IPad
I bought this door for this project years ago and had it painted with rest of car. Our registry shows 3976R as having been re- bodied when restored. I wonder where the rest went. I have Perspex window from Banks.
 Having issue with top of door where 1/4 window was not meeting weatherstripping from body and is more easily pushed out at top by weatherstripping. Wondering if door is that mush more flimsy without all the frame and glass.
Eddie
Europa TC
1972 2068R

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2015, 07:14:42 PM »
Our S2 does the same thing... with original quarter window & glass.  :(

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2015, 07:54:13 PM »
It's been a long time since I did my doors but I don't remember their being flimsy without the window frames. Of course, that's a pretty large opening without the frame and window. I'm not sure what you can do. My doors don't seal well with the body.  I know at least one of them had a small leak when the car was new. I could probably improve the situation somewhat but for me aligning doors is an all day affair! I only bring it up because I wonder if the doors could have some manufacturing irregularities that you might be wrestling with.

I'm not sure what you can do beyond call Richard to see what he has to say.

Offline ezuskin

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2015, 08:39:40 PM »
I love your expression " manufacturing irregularities" for why things just don't make sense some days with our cars. Every time I spend a day adjusting a door I, at some point, tell myself this f'in door doesn't really fit this car! So after about 3 hours of alligator wrestling I usually hope to pronounce the job complete when it doesn't rub in front and latches without any further cursing and self pity.

The quick release window works relatively OK, the rear pop out latch is from a 70s VW bus, it pops open fine but doesn't pop closed so well, the front part from McMaster-Carr . The hardware that Richard included with window I discovered was not designed for window to be removed. My big dream has been to be able to rest my arm on the window ledge and hang out of the window. Getting close. The new weatherstripping from RD is supposed to eventually compress, 5 years later I'm still waiting, any day now.
Eddie
Europa TC
1972 2068R

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,November 04, 2015, 05:26:59 AM »
It's all part of the excitement of Europa ownership!

:lotus:

Offline buzzer

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,November 04, 2015, 07:41:51 AM »
On my TCS I have the doors stripped and they are quite solid with no perceived flexing of the frame to the door body. And yes they do not fit well! I have the Banks hinges so adjustment is a bit easier, but still a pain of a job.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #7 on: Friday,November 06, 2015, 08:56:21 AM »
Here are some old photos of my window installation.  As you probably already know McMaster Carr sells all types of bulb seals.   You may need to buy a few feet of each one to find the right size and consistency. 

One trick you may want to use it to feed a string/cord or small bungee through the rear and forward seals to tighten the engagement.  I found this made for more predictable results.    You can also do this on the overall door seal.  I found that a stiffer lower seal worked will with a soft upper seal.  This will keep the upper part of the frame from deforming.  With the cord insert it all looks like it is the same material in size and content. 

You ask, where did I learn this....  from the seals that are falling out of our Range Rover.  Those cleaver English engineers.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Friday,November 06, 2015, 10:25:13 PM »
Clever using SS quick release linkage ball joints as hinges.

Offline ezuskin

« Reply #9 on: Monday,November 09, 2015, 07:48:58 PM »
I think you gave me the McMaster-Carr part numbers when I had posted that I didn't like Banks solution for that window not being quick release. T seem to work fine. Now time to work on improving weather stripping. If you remember any sizes or part numbers it would be appreciated.
Eddie
Europa TC
1972 2068R