Author Topic: First head pull -- only the 10 9/16" bolts and 2 1/2" bolts at the front, right?  (Read 611 times)

Offline thehackmechanic

I'm pulling the head on my TCS to facilitate the engine drop. I'm following the shop manual. I've pulled the cam gears and undone the 10 9/16" head bolts and the two 1/2" bolts at the front of the engine, and the head wants to come off but it seems stuck at the left front; it pivots about the left front. Is there a dowel there? Is there any other bolt I need to undo? This is my first so I don't want to do anything stupid.

--Rob
'74 TCS, 24k miles, up and running after 40 years
'72 BMW 2002tii
'72 BMW Bavaria
'73 BMW 3.0CSi
'79 BMW Euro 635CSi
'99 BMW Z3M Coupe
'99 BMW Z3
'96 Winnebago Rialta

Five books available on Amazon (www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rob+siegel)

Offline thehackmechanic

Never mind. I found the third one, upside-down and from beneath. Cheeky.
'74 TCS, 24k miles, up and running after 40 years
'72 BMW 2002tii
'72 BMW Bavaria
'73 BMW 3.0CSi
'79 BMW Euro 635CSi
'99 BMW Z3M Coupe
'99 BMW Z3
'96 Winnebago Rialta

Five books available on Amazon (www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rob+siegel)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
 :)

It's a Lotus.  It's not governed by any normal, logical or sensible rules that you'd find in other cars.   Just wait until you're happily running the car and decide you want to replace the water pump....  (hint - do it now ! )

Brian

Offline cal44

Brian,
I was thinking how logical or not (thinking of Lotus) would it be to install the casette water pump and make an access panel behind the seats for easy repair.  It is assuming the casette is made for the Europa TC.

Or, is that one of my half baked ideas.......again.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Hi Mike,

Cassette water pumps seem to have had mixed reviews over the years and although the logic is sound, whenever I've had to do mine I've looked, shrugged and just put back the standard Lotus/Ford parts.  I can see the advantages all right, it just seems expensive for a job that you usually only need to do at rebuild time.

I don't know about the idea of a hole in bulkhead. It sounds ok but I'm not sure what access you'd get because the engine block/front cover is quite low in the "V" of the chassis ? I suppose it depends on the design of the revised front cover and how much room the cassette unit needs to come out ?

Despite the workshop manual starting off the "how to replace your waterpump" section with "1. Remove engine compartment lid" followed by "remove engine & gearbox", in practice there is enough room to get the cover off to replace the pump with the engine still in the car. It's tight but it is possible.  But much easier for Rob to do his now, while it's all in bits....

Brian