Author Topic: Hello from longtime BMW guy, Europa noob  (Read 4387 times)

Offline thehackmechanic

Re: Hello from longtime BMW guy, Europa noob
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,June 22, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »
Thanks Brian. You're correct that it is an "honest" largely unmolested car. Cost was $6000 plus $1200 to ship from Chicago to Boston, so $7200 to my door. Considering that shiny running somewhat sorted-out Europas show up on eBay in the $10k to $12k range, it probably wasn't worth it by that sort of calculation, but these things aren't always definable by that sort of metric. My sense is that these cars are getting a bump in value, and I viewed it as a chance to buy in on a low-mileage car (albeit a dead low-mileage car) before I got priced out of the market. We shall see how well it works out.
'74 TCS, 24k miles, up and running after 40 years
'72 BMW 2002tii
'72 BMW Bavaria
'73 BMW 3.0CSi
'79 BMW Euro 635CSi
'99 BMW Z3M Coupe
'99 BMW Z3
'96 Winnebago Rialta

Five books available on Amazon (www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rob+siegel)

Offline cal44

« Reply #16 on: Sunday,June 23, 2013, 07:02:37 AM »
You bought right.  So you put some dough in it............there more where that came from.....right?

I spend waaaay to much money on car parts.........and don't care.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline buzzer

« Reply #17 on: Monday,June 24, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »
Mike,

I'm with you, I do it for the challenge .... And fun . If i break out even ( Not including my labour) It will be a result!!!

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #18 on: Monday,June 24, 2013, 04:15:22 PM »
From the pictures I would say rebuild the engine and drive the car. It looks very original and in pretty decent shape overall.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #19 on: Monday,June 24, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »
Rob, First of all Welcome, I think you were in range on this one. I looks like a class 4  car at the moment. Most insurance, auction houses & the like will refer to a condition guide to determine value. Hagerty has an excellent on line tool you can use.
I have been watching the trends for a class 1... Europas in the states now go around 32k...Overseas it about 38k. The interesting thing that since 2001 a class 1 has risen in value almost 11k...or about 1k every year and its not stopping!

1 Concours- Running perfect example, original or close to stock, excellent mechanicals, paint & trim no visible flaws. 25-32k
 2 Excellent- Running, well kept overall, original or little modifications(except for safety),paint and trim few minor flaws 15-18k
 3 Good-Running, Repairs needed to bring to condition # 2. Paint, body & trim have visible flaws. 10-12k
 4 Fair- Running / Any repairs required for safe operation and overall appearance condition & will pass inspection 6-8 k
 5 Poor-Not running / Repairs or full restoration needed, paint and trim distressed, parts missing 2-5k
Note add 10 % if it's a true JPS, Specials also get 10% if you have the 365-5 speed box.

6-Basket case-It has a tree growing through it,some boxes found,you forgot a shovel to get to it, parts car...priceless!

Good luck with her!....
ps, Don't look at the receipts until after your first test drive.You"ll know it was well worth the time, effort and money.
« Last Edit: Monday,June 24, 2013, 09:31:43 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline 3929R

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday,June 25, 2013, 11:03:28 AM »
She looks like a great project to me.  The price seems good.  What else could you have bought with as much exotic fun potential for the money?
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline thehackmechanic

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday,June 25, 2013, 11:06:02 AM »
Well, a running BMW M6, but we won't talk about that
'74 TCS, 24k miles, up and running after 40 years
'72 BMW 2002tii
'72 BMW Bavaria
'73 BMW 3.0CSi
'79 BMW Euro 635CSi
'99 BMW Z3M Coupe
'99 BMW Z3
'96 Winnebago Rialta

Five books available on Amazon (www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rob+siegel)