Author Topic: Shift linkage coupler "pin" fell out  (Read 3699 times)

Offline TGM

Shift linkage coupler "pin" fell out
« on: Tuesday,November 13, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »
My shifter suddenly got this loose/disconnected feeling while moving my car in the driveway, so I got out and found the shift linkage fell off the transmission tail shaft. I then noticed it just pushes back on and a pin goes though the coupler to hold it in place. I found the pin sitting on the driveway and "tapped" it back in lightly with a hammer (it went back in pretty easy with just a small part of the end sticking out of the hole).

My question is: Is that the way that coupler is supposed to stay connected to the trans..with just a pin about 1 inch long? Tapping it in with a hammer? Or am I missing something? Shouldn't something be holding the pin in place? Maybe I should replace the pin? I don't trust it now..

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Re: Shift linkage coupler "pin" fell out
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,November 13, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »
There is only a roll pin holding the universal joint on to the tail of the transmission. I would suggest replacing the roll pin with a new one if possible. Additionally I would use some lock-tight on the pin when you put it back together. Alternatively you might consider a nylock nut and bolt in place of the roll pin.  :confused:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,November 13, 2012, 11:10:48 PM »
It is only a roll pin holding the rear linkage together (this is a Lotus remember  :) ) but of course it shouldn't just drop out.   Whenever I've had to replace one I've always been concerned about having to hit it so hard that I might damage a seal or something, so that might give you an idea of how well located it should be.

It might be that the pin is the wrong size (metric/imperial size mix up ?) or the perhaps the holes are worn.  I think the one in mine was a double pin, with an inner section inside an outer and not just a solid section, so given the age of these cars it might be someone has replaced the original with just a plain piece of steel ?

Brian

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,November 14, 2012, 08:34:03 AM »
The hole for the roll pin may be wallered out. You might have to drill it out to the next size and replace with a larger pin. Check with RD Enterprises for a replacement pin.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline cal44

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,November 14, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »
The prior owner of mine simply install a bolt and nylock nut.  I didn't like the look so worked on the hole with a baby rat tail file and went to Home Depot to purchase a plain pin with the hole drilled in the end (can't remember the name of the pin).  After installed put cotter pin through the hole on the end of the pin and that is that......I hope.

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline 3929R

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,November 15, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »
I think there may be a better solution.  (This quote is from my files.  Sorry, I don't remember where I copied it from and don't have time to find it again)

"The shift linkage connects to the shift control shaft at the rear of these transmissions.  The attachment is made by means of a roll pin through the linkage universal yoke and the control shaft.  This arrangement is highly susceptible to wear on the shaft, universal and the pin, and a better arrangement can be had with the following mods. 

Remove the shift linkage from the car (good opportunity to clean, inspect and repair).  The linkage can be detached from the shift lever with a little effort through the access hole in the center tunnel.  The middle pivot and the rear connection must also be detached.  Then the whole linkage can be slid out the
back.  Check the universals and rebuild as necessary.  Also check the rose joint for the center pivot and the shoulder bolt and plastic bushings at the shift lever and replace if necessary.  The rose joint is attached to the linkage with Loctite.  Try a 1/4" bolt to see if it will fit through the hole in the end universal yoke and also through the hole in the shift control lever.  If not, drill to 1/4".  Saw a slot through the universal yoke on ONE SIDE ONLY located as shown in the photos.  The yoke does not have a flat surface for the head of the bolt so you now need to mill, file, or grind the material away on the yoke so that a bolt through the holes has a flat place to sit.  Reinstall the linkage and install a good - at least grade 5, and an AN bolt properly sized is better - bolt through the hole and secure it tightly with a washer and a nyloc nut - also grade 5 or better.  The universal yoke will be tightly clamped onto the shaft and will no longer move around."

Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline cal44

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,November 15, 2012, 08:15:35 AM »
That is a much better job than the PO did to mine.  Nice to see the milled out half circle for the nut.
United States Marines

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Thursday,November 15, 2012, 08:18:20 AM »
Thanks for the above info. Very helpful. :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 3929R

« Reply #8 on: Friday,November 16, 2012, 07:30:06 AM »
It is a nice job and it is not mine.  The pictures in my post are from the Yahoo group.  I neglected to put the link so here it is-
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lotuseuropa/files/Shift%20linkage%20Mods/ 
« Last Edit: Friday,November 16, 2012, 10:44:05 AM by LotusJoe »
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Roger

« Reply #9 on: Friday,November 16, 2012, 08:14:29 AM »
Unless you split the yoke as described, it is not a good idea to replace the roll-pin with a bolt or clevis pin, which is what you seem to have done, Mike.
The great advantage a roll-pin has over a bolt is that it fits the hole much more tightly;  that's why you have to drive it in, and if you don't have to give it a good clout to get it in, replace it. A bolt will always have more clearance = more wear = more clearance etc., etc! The roll-pin will, to some extent, expand to fit the hole. The bolt or pin never will.

Offline cal44

« Reply #10 on: Friday,November 16, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »
Roger,

good tip and thanks.

Mike
United States Marines

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #11 on: Friday,November 16, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »
Gentlemen, I took the liberty of posting the pictures from the Yahoo link.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)