Author Topic: Zetec cheap(ish) oil pan options?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Pete Gossett

Zetec cheap(ish) oil pan options?
« on: Monday,October 29, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »
Now that I have the Zetec mounted on a stand in my shop, I can see the stock oil pan looks like it will be a problem. Not only does it hang low, but with the engine designed for a rearward tilt in its transverse orientation, the sump will sit at a tilt when mounted in the Europa - which I don't imagine will be the best idea when fitted with sticky 245mm-wide autocross tires!

So I searched for alternatives. I found several dry-sump offerings, but they're both pricy and overkill for what I need. I also found a couple cast wet-sumps that replace the 2-piece stock unit, but they're over $500 as well!

I figured I'd ask for input first, but if nothing suitable is out there, I'll probably just make my own via one means or another.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Re: Zetec cheap(ish) oil pan options?
« Reply #1 on: Monday,October 29, 2012, 12:59:50 PM »
I have a stock pan as well. I was concerned that it hung low. As it turned out it is no lower than the lowest part of the transmission. I was going to get another pan and cut the bottom off and level it out. I talk to Richard Winter at length about this and he said unless I was going racing, there was probably no need to do anything.

If I decide to do anything it will be along the lines of the Dunnell oil sump like the one pictured below.
« Last Edit: Monday,October 29, 2012, 01:06:58 PM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Pete Gossett

« Reply #2 on: Monday,October 29, 2012, 05:09:46 PM »
Do you do much autocrossing or track days with your Europa Joe? I am worried about oil starvation on wide sticky autocross tires.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #3 on: Monday,October 29, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »
I race a 914 Porsche and a BMW 2002. If I was going to modify the Zetec pan I would put a windage  tray and baffles in while I have it off the engine. Also you have to modify the oil pickup as it is in the wrong place on the stock configuration.

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)