Author Topic: DIY Camber/Caster Gauge  (Read 6665 times)

Offline BDA

DIY Camber/Caster Gauge
« on: Wednesday,April 22, 2020, 05:30:33 PM »
I suspect that most of us already have camber/caster gauges all ready but maybe some who don't are afraid of the price and maybe some who aren't happy with theirs. I was in the latter camp. I had my car aligned at a shop and my camber gauge didn't agree with the shop's camber gauge. So I ordered an electronic level from Amazon (e.g. this one is less than $20 https://www.amazon.com/Homder-Protractor-Inclinometer-Calculating-Automobile/dp/B07P6ZD8KT/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=electronic+level&qid=1587599960&sr=8-13).  Except for some screws of a particular size and some thin aluminum strapping, I made it using  stuff I had lying around my garage. So for a little over $20, I now have a very accurate electronic camber/caster gauge.

Notes about how to make it:

Start with a rigid piece that is about the diameter of your wheel in length. It can be less. I used a 1" by 1/16" wall extruded aluminum square tubing. An angle would work as well. In the picture of the new gauge, you can see there are two "feet" which you position against the wheel. I got those from my old gauge but you can use long bolts that you can tighten on the piece we just mentioned. It's important that they stand out from the rigid piece exactly the same amount. You can then attach the electronic level to the rigid piece any way you want (eg. with zip ties) but it must be firmly against your rigid piece. It's important that it is flat where you attach it. I thought zip ties would look cheesy so I spent a LOT of time fabricating a strap to go around the level. I spent a lot of time trying to make it as perfect as I could so that it would only look crappy instead of horrible when I was done! It ain't easy fabricating things with my chisel and file method! I positioned the level toward the top so it would be easier to read.

So there is no excuse now not to have your own camber/caster gauge!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: DIY Camber/Caster Gauge
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,April 22, 2020, 10:27:47 PM »
Now that's what I like about this place, everyone is ready to invent ways around problems and share the results.  And with modern technology, tools that used to be very expensive for your hobby mechanic are now possible with this sort of thinking.

I made a "camber gauge" as well although I'm not brave enough to show my efforts, which were/are much, much cruder.

I took a 3/4" (?) steel box section and cut it to exactly the wheel rim diameter, one layer of insulating tape around each end to stop scratches  and then used a similar gauge to show the angle. The hi-tech difference  ;)  is that mine's got a magnetic base so you just plonk it on the steel and it's good to go.  This ultra crude example only works if the profile of your alloy wheel doesn't protrude out from the line of the rim, in which case you'll need adjusters like yours.

My only serious comment would be not to go too cheap on the gauge, from what I found the accuracy is good on 99% of gauges at the 90/180 marks but errors creep in as you move away from vertical or horizontal. Probably not enough to cause a problem for us with 0.5deg allowance but even so it's worth avoiding the really cheap stuff.  And the trouble I have is that once you find you can measure to 0.1deg then you try to adjust both sides to 0.1deg !!!

Just thinking about it, this sort of thing would make a good stickie in the garage section, something like "DIY Equipment" where folks have made things like this, alignment kit, spring compressors, transaxle nut tools, etc. Descriptions & pictures, that sort of thing.  If we refrained from adding comments, just descriptions, it might help out newbies to these cars and their quirks. 

Brian

« Last Edit: Thursday,April 23, 2020, 01:03:19 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,April 23, 2020, 07:20:07 AM »
Very clever, Brian! Mine has a magnetic base too but (I think they all do because a common use is to determine the angle of a saw blade in a table saw) but I think it's only on the bottom so mine would be 90 degrees off in your setup.

I wasn't aware of the accuracy issue. Mine says it's good to +/- 0.2 degrees from 2 - 89 degrees and 0.1 degree at 0 and 90 degrees. Could they be lying? Sure but as you say even a few tenths is not a problem for us (except if we get anal about it!  :) ). I looked up the one I actually bought and it was only $15! Your point about quality is a good one though and for a few bucks or pounds more you can feel a bit more confident.

I like your idea of a place to put DIY equipment. I'll message Joe.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,April 23, 2020, 08:39:11 AM »
On mine if you move it from horizontal to vertical it just seems to sort itself out. I'd expect most to be good enough for 0.5deg which in reality is all we need around vertical. I've got a few such things in my workshop of varying price & quality and it's interesting to set one against another to see what they say - not always the same for some reason.

But that's getting picky again, as I said before once you can measure to 0.1deg then you "really need" to set the camber to 0.1deg either side. In the olden days we'd have been perfectly happy with a bit of string with a nut tied on the end, a lump of wood and a marker pen....           :)

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,April 23, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »
I just looked at my level again. It has a magnet on only one side and I didn't see where you could tell it to re-orient "bottom." I guess that's what you get for $15!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,April 23, 2020, 08:54:54 AM »
Brilliant , BDA. Thanks for posting. I’ve been planning the creation of a set of DIY 4 wheel alignment gear, and this will fit in nicely.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,April 23, 2020, 09:16:27 AM »
Actually, that's how I first thought of this. I was looking for a nice affordable 4-wheel alignment rig to use in my garage. I found this one which is only $500 (https://www.wheelalignmenttools.com/product/4-wheel-alignment-system/). That's pretty nice but I noticed the camber gauge had an angle measuring gizmo that looked like something you could buy so I searched Amazon and found several so I got one. When I got frustrated by the gauge I already had, I decided to just make my own.