Author Topic: Europa Euphoria  (Read 2546 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Europa Euphoria
« on: Thursday,June 21, 2012, 10:53:40 PM »
Hi folks,

Now this might seem like a shameless plug for a book, but it's from the other side of the pond and I don't think I've ever emailed/corresponded and certainly never met the author so here goes....

"Europa Euphoria", written by Bob Herzog and purchased on Amazon UK for around a fiver which is less than the cost of a monthly magazine over here. (that's £5 GBP for those of you on the LHS of the pond).  Ok, this isn't a Brian Buckland "Restoring the Elan" type of book with lots of colour pictures and superb detailing about how to restore an Elan in modern times, it's a sort of diary written as he's gone along restoring his Europa. No doubt many or all of the chapters were posted on t'interwebby at some point because it does come across as a "chatty" sort of read and all the better for it, it's the sort of style that makes you feel as if you're just chatting over a beer.

I'm about 1/3rd the way through and already despite the fact we're continents away I can find myself saying "yep, got that T shirt" at some of the anecdotes.  Just the sort of thing you need to read when you're 12 months into a 3 month restoration programme.

So, I don't know the guy but go out and buy his book. If nothing else it'll cheer you up when you've spent half a day trying to undo one rusty nut......

Brian

Offline cal44

Re: Europa Euphoria
« Reply #1 on: Friday,June 22, 2012, 05:24:12 AM »
Just got my book from Amazon yesterday. 

Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #2 on: Friday,June 22, 2012, 08:20:03 AM »
I also just got the book in the mail this week. The few parts I have read remind me of my experience with my restoration. I look forward reading the entire book.  :trophy:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Pete Gossett

« Reply #3 on: Friday,June 22, 2012, 08:49:47 AM »
I just received mine today. I haven't started on my car yet though, does this mean I should wait to read it till I'm done?  ;D

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Friday,June 22, 2012, 09:35:58 AM »
I haven't started on my car yet though, does this mean I should wait to read it till I'm done?  ;D

Definitely.  If you read the first few entries before starting you'll sell your car before even shaking the dust off your spanners.  ;)

on the other hand, maybe I could do with a cheap project..... :)

Brian

edit to add - incidentally do any of you guys know the author ? he sounds to have really caught the Lotus bug and must be a mine of information about restorations ?
« Last Edit: Friday,June 22, 2012, 09:38:12 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #5 on: Friday,June 22, 2012, 09:59:18 AM »
I bought my car from a barn in El Centro California. It had been there for at least 10 years. I thought I would just clean it up get it going and drive it in "as is" condition. But then one evening I'm looking at the car and drinking a beer, and thought "you know I bet it would only take a few hours to lift the body off the chassis" So a few hours later the body was off....and then it started from there. Now every nut, bolt, washers has either been replaced or restored. It's my form of therapy or addiction.  :confused:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #6 on: Monday,January 20, 2020, 04:10:27 PM »
I got Bob’s book for Christmas (it was on my “want” list). A fun read and I’m glad I read it after I finished my own frame off restoration !  Seriously, if your just starting your own restoration this book is a required read.

And to be honest, I’m completely in Bob’s camp. I’m glad to have restored my own Europa......but I wouldn’t do another one again. But like Bob, I’m a wealth of knowledge the hard way......I made mistakes and corrected them along the way.

Offline rickspero

« Reply #7 on: Friday,November 05, 2021, 05:12:14 PM »
Hi, I'm getting ready to start restoring my 73 TCS and was reading through the Forum. I saw your message about a book that should be read before a restoration. You said it was written by a gentleman named Bob. Do you have more info on the book?
Thanks, Rick

Offline Arizona

« Reply #8 on: Friday,November 05, 2021, 09:01:38 PM »
Hi, I'm getting ready to start restoring my 73 TCS and was reading through the Forum. I saw your message about a book that should be read before a restoration. You said it was written by a gentleman named Bob. Do you have more info on the book?
Thanks, Rick
https://www.amazon.com/Herzog-Europa-Euphoria-semi-technical-semi-humorous/dp/B00SB23OS4
« Last Edit: Friday,November 05, 2021, 09:19:45 PM by Arizona »
George F. Johnson

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Friday,November 05, 2021, 09:33:39 PM »
 :Welcome: rickspero!!

Keep us up to date on your progress!