Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 166778 times)

Offline chrisbeck

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #1350 on: Thursday,June 04, 2020, 04:41:13 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply. I might make a mould plug from the original. Good practice for the centre console!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1351 on: Thursday,June 04, 2020, 06:58:32 AM »

"Set everything up and started on the new fiberglass instrument binnacle for the tach, speedo and function display lights (The OEM binnacle was warped from heat).  This required drilling of a number of holes to prep for install. Made a Loews run as I didn't have 6 x 1/2 stainless steel screws in stock. Need those to screw the binnacle to the back of the dash."

I'm looking at options to make a copy of the instrument binnacle in fibreglass. Can I ask, did you make yours or purchase it?
Thanks, Chris
  Hi Chris , I made a mold of the original but decided to just use it as the finished part for now.
http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2058.975
Dakazman

Offline RonPNW

• S2 54/1678
« Reply #1352 on: Thursday,July 23, 2020, 11:10:26 PM »
WOW! Fantastic write up. Just finished reading the entire posting in preparation for my restoration. It's a great way to get up to speed on my second restoration of my 1970 S2 that has been sitting for 25 years after 100,000 happy miles auto crossing and driving mountain roads in California.

Thanx
Ron
Second restoration of a 1970 S2, now with a Spyder chassis, 807-13 crossflow engine and some modern upgrades. This car is just for fun!

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #1353 on: Friday,July 24, 2020, 05:37:17 AM »
WOW! Fantastic write up. Just finished reading the entire posting in preparation for my restoration. It's a great way to get up to speed on my second restoration of my 1970 S2 that has been sitting for 25 years after 100,000 happy miles auto crossing and driving mountain roads in California.

Thanx
Ron
:Welcome: RonPNW,
Lots of restoration blogs and good advice on tap here. Tell about your project.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1354 on: Friday,July 24, 2020, 11:01:29 AM »

Thanx
Ron

Glad you enjoyed the read Ron and got a few details on how to approach your own restoration project. The reason I documented my entire project was to provide insight to others that were about to approach the same thing. Good luck on your restoration!

Offline RonPNW

• S2 54/1678
« Reply #1355 on: Sunday,July 26, 2020, 11:27:51 PM »
Thanx for the warm welcome.
My hat is off to anyone that does a detailed description of their rebuild. I started down that road with a Transit Van conversion and quickly felt more pressure to make progress and less to document. That may be because I found the need to do most things at least twice to get them where I wanted. I'll try to do better on this rebuild.
Still working on the general goals of the project. Certainly not a concours competition ready restoration. I intend to drive to the grocery store and not worry about shopping karts. I am torn between simply bringing it back to fun usable life versus upgrading to modern electrics, better brakes, the crossflow renault engine (I have one sitting in the corner) and a Banks rear suspension (my wife gave me a Banks frame as a wedding gift for my last restoration in the late 80's). Still cleaning up old projects to clear garage space. Hope to start in the fall.

Ron
Second restoration of a 1970 S2, now with a Spyder chassis, 807-13 crossflow engine and some modern upgrades. This car is just for fun!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1356 on: Monday,December 07, 2020, 05:38:32 AM »
Wow. Over 85,000 views of my post. I never would have imagined. Glad it’s being used as a reference for others who are restoring their TC Europa’s.

One of my favorite Europa drives was in mid-December of last year to go Christmas shopping for my wife (my favorite drive was the road trip to/from LOG39 with my friends). Here is a a repeat of my car parked on the street during that shopping trip. Even though I no longer own this car, the memory lives on. All good!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1357 on: Monday,December 07, 2020, 03:39:45 PM »
  I remember that pic well Glen, she will always be here for all to see.
Merry Christmas
Dakazman
Dave

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1358 on: Sunday,November 07, 2021, 04:20:06 AM »
BDA was kind enough to create an index of my restoration blog. For those that are looking for specific information on a certain aspect of the work I did, this is a great index to locate the photos and write up. Thanks BDA!

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=4871.0