Author Topic: 71 Lotus Europa S2 restored for sale 2 hours left in eBay auction  (Read 1998 times)

Offline BDA

Re: 71 Lotus Europa S2 restored for sale 2 hours left in eBay auction
« Reply #1 on: Friday,June 17, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »
Rob, Your car was a beauty! I would have thought you'd get a lot more for it!! Somebody got a GREAT deal!!!!

Sorry you felt the need to get rid of it. I hope it wasn't bad news!

I hope your non Lotus future is a bright one (and that maybe you'll get another Lotus!)

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,June 21, 2016, 06:28:10 AM »
Thanks,

Turns out I still have it.  The eBay buy turned out to be a fake.  Why do people do this? whats the point...  :WTF:

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #3 on: Friday,July 01, 2016, 08:03:51 AM »
So for the second time, I sold the car and for the second time the buyer has gone off the grid?  What gives?  why bother placing a bid if you do not intent on buying the car?

The first guy was a fake account.  This second buyer I know is real, he messaged me a half dozen questions on the car....

Arggh.  is selling on eBay always this bad?

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Friday,July 01, 2016, 10:20:53 AM »
That stinks on ice! I have very little experience selling things on ebay so I have no idea what's going on.

I have less experience with Hemmings, but have you considered listing it there? I guess if it were me, I'd list it again and hope for a better result.

Good luck!

Offline Clifton

« Reply #5 on: Friday,July 01, 2016, 04:06:35 PM »
Have you looked into listing it on bringatrailer.com. I see a lot of cars go through their auction.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Saturday,July 02, 2016, 12:44:59 AM »
So for the second time, I sold the car and for the second time the buyer has gone off the grid?  What gives?  why bother placing a bid if you do not intent on buying the car?

The first guy was a fake account.  This second buyer I know is real, he messaged me a half dozen questions on the car....

Arggh.  is selling on eBay always this bad?

If it's any consolation (probably not) the same thing happens on Ebay.UK. I knew someone selling a Subaru Impreza Turbo which was a well regarded sporty car over here, and he went through exactly the same thing you're experiencing.  Why bid on something if you're not going to buy it ? Heck, I can't figure it either.

What you can do on Ebay over here is to advertise as a classified ad rather than an auction. This doesn't stop you getting hassle but at least to get the car the buyer has to stump up cash, even if only a deposit so you can weed out the real time wasters.

Also it removes that "It's sold, oh wait, it's not" thing, and from what I can see that's how regular traders sell their cars on our Ebay.

Brian