Author Topic: FS Lotus '74 Elite  (Read 1353 times)

Offline cal44

FS Lotus '74 Elite
« on: Sunday,December 23, 2012, 08:50:13 AM »
How does the design of the original Elite end up looking like this some years later?............even today I remain speechless.
Brian?  a little help here...................
http://www.wirewheel.com/1974-Lotus-Elite-for-sale-due-in-soon.html
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: FS Lotus '74 Elite
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,December 23, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »
 :)

Perhaps I'd better not mention that we almost bought one of those back in the 80s then, eh Mike ?  In my defense it was back in the days when we needed hauling capacity and we were running a Reliant Scimitar GTE as a daily car.  A good friend at work had a blue Elite and I'd just assumed it would be a bit heavy & ponderous like the Scimitar.

Wrong ! They really are surprisingly good cars if you need 4 seats and with my rose-tinted specs on I seem to remember it being very impressive. Much faster than mine and it didn't go all wobbly at the sight of twisty roads.  I remember talking about buying one & checking prices but for some reason it just faded away.

They do look very dated now, don't they ?  All square, boxy dashboards and in truth you're right, they haven't stood the test of time like the original Elite has.  Incidentally they're very cheap over in the UK, a couple of grand will buy you one but I think the spares situation isn't good.

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #2 on: Monday,December 24, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »
This one is right here in town........wouldn't it be nice if the five speed fit the twin cam block for the Elan boys.
Oddly......I mean real oddly.  The shape is not looking so bad.  I do understand these handle very well.
The ad is funny......comparing this car to the Bond Lotus...........me thinks not.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/3496176402.html
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,December 25, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »
I saw the Elite listing on wirewheel. thought what a nice price, but, I think the body style would have to grow on me. I need to see it in person. I'm happy that it is about a 24 hour trip away too.
Just had to google the model after seeing the ad, and came up with this site, if you have not seen it, very interesting.
http://www.britishv8.org/other/richardnorman.htm
It seems all I really need is more money. And time. Also a larger garage.
Giang sinh vui ve!
:beerchug:
andyh

Offline pboedker

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,December 26, 2012, 11:14:27 PM »
Good luck with making it look like the Esprit, not to mention driving it under water  O:-)

Apart from that, the Elite is a very nice looking car 'in person'. Like the Europa, it has a few good angles when pictured, but a lot more when you see it for real. There are a few of them around here, and the owners are generally happy with them. Probably good that I have 3 kids instead of 2, since otherwise I would either have an Elite or an Plus 2 as my daily driver  :pirate:

This one is right here in town........wouldn't it be nice if the five speed fit the twin cam block for the Elan boys.
Oddly......I mean real oddly.  The shape is not looking so bad.  I do understand these handle very well.
The ad is funny......comparing this car to the Bond Lotus...........me thinks not.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/3496176402.html
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #5 on: Friday,January 04, 2013, 05:02:54 PM »
i see the car sold. looked like a great project.