Author Topic: ELSE Europa restoration 2015 -2018  (Read 69750 times)

Offline buzzer

Re: ELSE Europa restoration 2015 -2017
« Reply #330 on: Thursday,July 27, 2017, 06:40:26 AM »
Rivnuts are great, I presume you are using ally one's. You can get rivets with serrated shafts that will help grip the fibreglass ok
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #331 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 04:46:36 PM »
Working late tonight But delighted to say that my Europa restoration is largely finished tonight after 26 months.  She's going off to my local garage to complete some technical snagging issues then tuning and MOT. Hopefully ready for  shake down and running in by the end of the month.  Thanks to my buddy Martyn who has helped and supported and kept me sane for the last two years.

Offline BDA

« Reply #332 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 05:22:45 PM »
She sure is a beauty! Congratulations!!!  :beerchug:

Offline Midnight

« Reply #333 on: Friday,September 08, 2017, 05:07:41 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous, I love the paint scheme, stunning job. I'm about to start my own project, be interesting to find out any lessons learned.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #334 on: Friday,September 08, 2017, 06:52:11 AM »
Thanks for your comments.

Midnight, I have detailed every problem and every step throughout these 23 pages, I hope you enjoy your project and have a high limit on your credit card!!

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #335 on: Wednesday,October 11, 2017, 03:46:10 AM »
Gotta say this project is starting to wear me down.  Finally got the engine running a little more smoothly today for the first time. But despite replacing the sump gasket (again) last week I still have a large pool of oil under the car. It looks like the timing chain case gasket is leaking but it's hard to tell. 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #336 on: Wednesday,October 11, 2017, 06:00:36 AM »
The most common oil leak on the Renault engine is the valve cover.  It then flows down so it looks like it's leaking from elsewhere.  I go around the valve cover with a thin feeler gauge to make sure it is tight all the way round.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #337 on: Wednesday,October 11, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »
Gotta say this project is starting to wear me down.
You're too close to the job.  Stand back and look at what you've achieved; you've taken an old Airfix kit of parts and made a cracking car out of it, it's no wonder it gets you down if the finish line seems to be edging away from you.

We all get like that at times, it wouldn't be the first time I've closed the garage door muttering "sod this for a game of soldiers..." (or similar, Russian sounding expressions ;)  ). So cut yourself some slack, you've done great to get where you are now.   Heck, what's the odd leak ? you get a gallon in a can of oil, it'll last for ages  :)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #338 on: Wednesday,October 11, 2017, 09:52:45 AM »
Gotta say this project is starting to wear me down.  Finally got the engine running a little more smoothly today for the first time. But despite replacing the sump gasket (again) last week I still have a large pool of oil under the car. It looks like the timing chain case gasket is leaking but it's hard to tell. 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

You have definitely got to be in the right mood to deal with problems on the car.

If you are not in the right mood, you will only make things worse.

Take a "chill pill" and wait until you are in the right mood, with the right weather. No rush. Then you can think clearly and find the problem easily.

I find 10 minutes think time can save 2 hours of doing it all wrong and having to do it again.

Alex in Norfolk (now working on #4, 4129R)

Offline BDA

« Reply #339 on: Wednesday,October 11, 2017, 10:59:32 AM »
I know exactly what you're going through. I was trying to get my car presentable (not drivable) for a meet the US Lotus club was putting on. IIRC, it coincided with the 50th anniversary of Lotus and it was reasonably close by for a change so I was really motivated to get it ready.

I was working on the electrics and had "graduated" from using a dry cell battery that I used to check continuity to a car battery. I was carefully working on the wiring behind the dash when I turned around for some reason. The next thing that happened was I heard a "tick" of a light metal to metal contact. I turned back around to see smoke billowing from behind my dash! I disconnected the battery as soon as I could and went inside to contemplate suicide. I was devastated! I knew all the dash wiring was a cinder.

After about ten minutes, I gathered myself together enough to view the damage. There actually very little! What had happened is the stainless steel braided hose I used for the oil pressure gauge had flopped over and shorted on something. Most of the smoke that I saw came from the rubber hose of that oil pressure gauge line burning. All I had to do was make a new hose and replace a couple of short wires.

Alex and Brian are right. Step back, relax, and regroup. The last two percent is always the hardest. You car is beautiful. You'll straighten this out and what you're feeling now will soon be a distant memory.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #340 on: Thursday,October 12, 2017, 05:36:15 AM »
Thanks everyone for your motivation and support.  I'll take a few days out of the garage and have another look next week. 

There is spattered oil on the bulkhead behind the head so I'm a bit worried that the rubber seal at the back of the head is leaking, that would be very bad news given that I have replaced the head gasket and resealed the rear rubber gasket a long time ago.  I'm guessing that if I remove the rear timing chain cover i could re seal the rubber at the top without removing the head?   

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #341 on: Thursday,October 12, 2017, 06:55:03 AM »
The timing cover is below the head so no need to remove it.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #342 on: Friday,October 13, 2017, 01:50:55 AM »
Definitely concur with the "be in the right mood for it" approach!! The time I break things is when I don't stop and and walk away and the time I fix things is after I have had time to think about the problem !

Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #343 on: Friday,October 13, 2017, 03:01:25 AM »
I’m on my third complete restoration project in 3years. Keep the faith and think about all you have accomplished. Stand back and look at how close you are to finishing every time you get frustrated. And most importantly, have a beer and relax when you have had enough for the day.

My friend Drew was helping me rebuild the transmission of a 64 Elan (close ratio). We had it all reassembled with new bearings and couldn’t get it into 4th gear. Took it completely apart and reassembled again (same day). Still wouldn’t go into 4th gear. Very frustrating. I said stop and get a couple of beers (it was a hot & humid July afternoon). While enjoying the ice cold beer and the stress dissolving (I had two beers) I looked at the gear box a different way and realized the bell housing would push one of the selector shafts in about 1/8th an inch. We bolted up the bell housing and everything worked perfectly. I now always have a fridge stocked with cold beer. You have no idea how many problems I have solved  :o

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #344 on: Sunday,October 15, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
Well done Gary. It’s looking great. Mine is just about to re-mated to the chassis. Some way to go yet!