Author Topic: Slumbering TCS  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Slumbering TCS
« on: Friday,August 16, 2013, 01:40:26 PM »
I present 3923R, my first Lotus. Bought in the summer of 1978, wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. I was just a poor sub sailor stationed in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, when the car of my dreams popped up in the local classifieds. Even though I had a two man support group (a fellow shipmate and friend on another boat had TCSs), I had strong doubts on being able to afford or maintain this known fragile car. However after laying eyes on the Europa, I purchased it on the spot and never looked back. Fast forward to the mid 80s, discharged from the Navy and living in So Cal, the Europa finally would not pass smog.  It's been living in the back of two garages waiting for its chance to see daylight again. 3923R is now smog exempt and I have a spare engine ready to go in,  just waiting for some spare time in between other projects.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Re: Slumbering TCS
« Reply #1 on: Friday,August 16, 2013, 01:46:27 PM »
Wow Joji, she looks pretty original and only 4 numbers off of mine (3927R). Get that motor in and bring it back to life!!
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,August 17, 2013, 06:10:41 AM »
I've already had practice removing an engine from another TCS last year. I figure a three weekend job. I also need to bypass both brake boosters and rebuild the brake MC. There may be other long forgotten issues with the car.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca 

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Monday,August 19, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »
Looking good Joji. Is she still wearing original paint? It may be just the lighting, but it seems to be a sort of teal blue in the pictures. Very exciting stuff. Looking forward to seeing this one come back to life.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #4 on: Monday,August 19, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
Trevor, as far as I can tell, the paint is original. The car was only four years old when I bought it and I can't see any evidence of it being resprayed. Plus I see the same color on some of the inner cabin. Not sure what you call it, it's more of a aquamarine/turquiose/jade green,
Lotus paint code is L18 Glacier Blue.

Found the mummified carcass of a rat in the passenger footwell a while back. The first task is leave out in the sun for a few days to disinfect the cabin when I start the engine replacement. I'll post more pictures when it's outside.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2013, 06:38:14 AM »
Sounds like an interesting colour, and I would believe very uncommon. I like it, and would be interested in seeing a picture of it cleaned up and in the sun, when the opportunity arises. I don't believe I've ever seen one that colour. Can the original paint  be saved? Even if its not perfect, saving that original paint in such an unusual colour would be a considerable point of interest. My own car is still original paint, and though I didn't really think the colour was all that uncommon, at LOG I was amazed at the number of people not only impressed that the car was still wearing original paint, but were interested in the fact that they had never seen one in that colour before (though I've seen two or three on line in my colour).
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »
Have to wonder about the number of Europas painted in the various Lotus paint schemes. Were some ordered by dealers in specific colors (if that was even possible back then) or did Lotus sprinkle the run of cars in thses rare colors? Jerry's site, Europa Central, has a listing and some examples of all the Lotus available color codes. My car's color code L18, Glacier Blue, only has a small resemblance to the example shown.

You and I both have unusual Europa colors, don't plan on changing mine.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, CA

Offline cal44

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,August 22, 2013, 04:03:55 PM »
I saw this car in Joji's garage and color is pretty nice........I must have missed the dead rat. 

With two to three different compounds and a good Carnauba final to feed the paint they indeed can shine up.  If to bad in the beginning we go to a light color sand then the others.  You would be surprised.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #8 on: Thursday,August 22, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »
joji, Is that a Mini being used as a storage container?
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #9 on: Friday,August 23, 2013, 12:01:51 PM »
The junk storage pile alternates between the Mini and the Europa. Cleaned the junk off the Europa for the pictures. Wouldn't be surprised if the junk starts accumulating on the Europa again.

Bought the Mini many years ago as a backup project once I got done with my Lotus projects. Hah, wishful thinking on my part.

Joji

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #10 on: Friday,August 23, 2013, 12:26:06 PM »
You have to many projects. You should give that Mini  :beerchug:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #11 on: Friday,August 23, 2013, 10:28:07 PM »
As someone who's had to fix several old and rusty minis over the years because his missus liked them,  I think you've found exactly the right use for them.....   :)