Author Topic: Tool Roll  (Read 1980 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Tool Roll
« on: Wednesday,December 06, 2017, 12:21:49 PM »
I'm trying to assemble an original-ish tool kit for the 74 TCS. I found these listed as "Lotus Elan Tool Kit" on eBay. They look like the same set shown in the Europa owners/shop manual (with the exception of the lead hammer which the seller would not extract from the kit, and which probably doubled the shipping cost). And what a mean looking bunch of screw slot buggering, hex head rounding, Junior's-first-play-tools they are too! Needless to say these butcher tools are for show only and will never touch my car. Unfortunately I am still missing the only tools I might actually have to use some day; the jack, jack handle and lug wrench. I am also missing the tool roll, which I've heard described as being made of "fiberglass". (Sounds like an itchy item.) This leads me to the question of the day:

Would it be possible for someone to lay their unrolled tool kit on the floor and take a picture of the front and back with a tape measure or something to provide scale? I'm thinking of commandeering the wife's sewing machine and stitching one up in leather or canvas. Not OEM, I know, but will look nice.

Oh, and anybody want a nice lead hammer? Maybe trade for a jack or OEM lug wrench??? (You pay shipping!)

Cheers,
Tom

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline jbcollier

Re: Tool Roll
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,December 06, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »
Keep it, lead hammer are very useful as they are heavy and non-marring.

Re-pop tool bags are on ebay all the time.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,December 06, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »
To add to John's post, if you're looking for authentic tool kits, I believe I've seen took kits on ebay from time to time. This is a cool catalog that includes vintage type tools and tool rolls. They aren't the same as the original Europa tool kit, which if you're interested in originality, that's what you'd have to have, but they are nicer. Check page 35 of this: https://www.angloparts.com/pdf_catalogues/Tools_accessories_catalogue.pdf. There are a lot of other things in it you might find interesting.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,December 06, 2017, 11:14:52 PM »
Thanks for posting the link to that Angloparts catalog BDA, that's some collection they've got there !  Some of the things such as the square glass washer bottles I haven't seen in years and would have presumed NLA.

Brian 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,December 07, 2017, 07:54:19 AM »
An example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lotus-Elan-Europa-Tool-Roll-Concours-Ready/302541137258?hash=item4670db656a:g:6FIAAOSwcXVZ6RTT&vxp=mtr

Re-pops of the just the roll (you already have the tools) are frequently there as well.

Offline jbcollier

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,December 07, 2017, 08:05:12 AM »
How bad do you want it? Here's a "remanufactured" tool kit including the roll that claims (and seems) to be "concours ready": https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lotus-Elan-Europa-Tool-Roll-Concours-Ready/302541137258?hash=item4670db656a:g:6FIAAOSwcXVZ6RTT&vxp=mtr

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,December 07, 2017, 08:25:52 AM »
I picked up my S2 Europa from the factory in 1970. Don't remember getting a tool roll, only the jack.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #8 on: Thursday,December 07, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
To add to John's post, if you're looking for authentic tool kits, I believe I've seen took kits on ebay from time to time. This is a cool catalog that includes vintage type tools and tool rolls. They aren't the same as the original Europa tool kit, which if you're interested in originality, that's what you'd have to have, but they are nicer. Check page 35 of this: https://www.angloparts.com/pdf_catalogues/Tools_accessories_catalogue.pdf. There are a lot of other things in it you might find interesting.
Many thanks for posting this link Mr. BDA. I just spent a good couple hours pouring through a wonderful range of British car goodies. Great catalogue.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #9 on: Thursday,December 07, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
I picked up my S2 Europa from the factory in 1970. Don't remember getting a tool roll, only the jack.
Now that is interesting. I bought my car from the original owner and his widow passed over all sorts of stuff including the original steering wheel (11" Astrali was fitted) but no tool roll, just a jack in it's original bag which incidentally isn't the one in the parts manual but definitely came with the car.   I'd assumed the tools had been lost and as they're pretty poor anyway I wasn't bothered about it, but perhaps like yourself they were never supplied ?

It wouldn't surprise me, my Elise was presented to me without any logos on 2 of the dash switches, just holes where they should have been. Fixed at first service.....  none in stock when the car came off the line !  (one of the best excuses I've heard yet)

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,December 07, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
S1 and S2s did not come with tools, just a jack and wheel nut wrench (and sometimes a jacking point adapter).  The TC/S came with a tool roll and tools as well (different jack as well).  It's all in the parts manuals:

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,December 07, 2017, 12:02:29 PM »
Found one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOTUS-VINTAGE-REPLICA-TOOL-KIT-ROLL/391934761129?hash=item5b4121d8a9:g:0~AAAOSwbghZy8GK

That's the one! Just bought it. Thanks for the link JB! The replica is okay by me, $338 for the concours version is out of my moral price range.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,December 07, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »
You can understand why I was momentarily confused by this book. ("Why would someone write a book about a bunch of crappy tools?" I wondered.)  :confused:
Antoine de Saint-Exupery