Author Topic: Mirrors  (Read 1219 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Mirrors
« on: Saturday,March 30, 2013, 09:40:05 AM »
 :coolpic: The car should be on it's trailer next week so I can take it to have the plumbing done and the wiring assessed (to re-harness or not).  While waiting, I was thinking about fender mirrors and was looking on the internet for JVC style offerings.  I dug through the parts the PO had used and came across a pitted chrome pair that had one broken mirror on the driver's side.  I smoothed the pits, roughed up the finish and painted them with some touch-up paint for my truck, which is close to the Porsche red the Lotus had been painted with.

I can't tell if I like them or not.  I suppose I'll keep them on until I find a pair I really like or decide if these look good once the body work is completed.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline cal44

Re: Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,March 31, 2013, 07:32:33 AM »
I can't tell either if I like them.  Here is a large problem, the weight of the mirror on thin fiberglass.  I reckon that is why I see some using the Sebring plastic mirror. 

But........over one hundred dollars for a Sebring plastic housing mirror that is paper thin?.........that is absurd.  At the most those should sell for $30 ..................

Fender mounted is o.k but I had Talbot Berlins on my 356 and the location was as useless as a politician.   Only a bullet mirror should be on a fender.

My answer is.....I got nothin'........

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Re: Mirrors
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,March 31, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
Thanks Mike.  That's something I failed to consider. I was originally going to shape some convex mirrors to sit in the lower corner of the quarter window inside the car.  That would give me a clear view down the side of the car, but they would be relatively small in size and wouldn't be adjustable.  They would be solid however, so that may be the way I'll go.  I'll still have some time to try them out before the bodywork is done, but I can see how flimsy they are just sitting in the drive.  Perhaps, that's why they weren't on the car when I bought it.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.