Author Topic: Heater and choke control cables  (Read 747 times)

Offline rjbaren

Heater and choke control cables
« on: Sunday,October 20, 2019, 07:38:37 PM »
Once again I am getting my chassis ready for the marriage to the body.  Since I didn't disassemble the car it's been a bit of a puzzle.  I found the heater and choke cables and the bracket.  One cable is a stranded wire cable and the other is a solid wire.  There are no markings on the cable pull handles so I am not sure which is the heater and which is the choke cable.   Do I bolt down the bracket with the cables in place now or can it be done after the body is back on?

Offline jbcollier

Re: Heater and choke control cables
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,October 20, 2019, 08:07:26 PM »
Solid wire is the heat control.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,October 20, 2019, 08:11:39 PM »
IIRC, you have a TC. I lost my choke cable long ago (and when I had my TC with Strombergs, I never needed the choke at all, but I lived in New Orleans which is very warm) so I can't say if it was a stranded cable. My heater cable is a solid wire. Since neither of your knobs have any graphics, they won't look so odd but if you're looking for something more original (and nicer looking) than a plain generic cable, I think I found them here: https://www.angloparts.com/pdf_catalogues/Tools_accessories_catalogue.pdf look on page 48 with knob 083.798 for the choke cable and on page 76, there is a knob kit that includes the heater knob 083.791. The heater knob is listed as 083.793 so they may sell individual knobs. These knobs go with the cables around page 48. Be sure to look over this catalog. They have a lot of interesting things. I have never ordered anything from them so I can't vouch for their shipping.

It's been a long time since I put my motor in but I think it might be better to run the cables before you put your motor in in case you want to tie them down somewhere. I think even with the motor in, it shouldn't be too difficult to do that but it might be a little easier before the motor is in.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Monday,October 21, 2019, 02:33:34 AM »
I installed mine as one of the last things I did for my rebuild. It will just get in the way all the time so get the car put back together and the interior finished and then install the bracket and cables. It was not hard to route them thru the tunnel and into the engine bay. Make sure you have your handbrake cable adjusted before you install the heater and choke cable, they make getting to the adjusting nuts harder.

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #4 on: Monday,October 21, 2019, 03:59:44 AM »
Thank you.  That is exactly the information I needed.  Thank you for the tip on that catalog I will check out that too.

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #5 on: Monday,October 21, 2019, 11:47:01 AM »
This is just one more detail that I'm contemplating. I'm wondering if it seems best to put fish wires in from the engine bay and attach the cables to them? Or what do you recommend?  Maybe the holes can be seen from the interior and one can just aim the cables through the holes. I'm afraid I haven't looked, but I wonder.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #6 on: Monday,October 21, 2019, 12:21:35 PM »
I routed them from the cockpit towards the engine and attached to the bracket. If you have Weber’s you will need an extra long choke cable, the one designed for Strombergs  isn’t long enough.

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,October 23, 2019, 04:20:38 AM »
I just looked at the plastic center console and it looks like the bracket holding the cables sits on top of the console.  Maybe I'll tie wrap the bracket to a bolt hole knowing it has to be moved.  It may be easier to move the bracket over the console, when its time for the interior to be put back, than trying to route the cables through the small holes from the cockpit.