Author Topic: Odyssey battery rack  (Read 8768 times)

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

Re: Odyssey battery rack
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,June 07, 2016, 07:16:26 AM »
The carbon fibre mat may well be conductive, but the resin that it's smothered in won't be. Chances of a short are pretty slim I'd say. although it still makes sense to cover the positive terminal with a rubber cap.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,June 07, 2016, 01:12:08 PM »
It might have some conductivity, just nothing as effective as metals.   

When we wanted a fibreglass vessel or lining which had some static dispersion because the contents might go pop with a spark, we'd specify carbon loading for the gelcoat.  The surface presented to the contents was still resin rich but it was conductive enough to be classified by Hazards as not being able to produce a static build up.  Having said that, I've a CF bike frame and I'd be staggered if that was conductive enough to pass !

Brian

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #17 on: Friday,July 15, 2016, 05:22:46 PM »
Trying to install a smaller replacement battery to an S2 is a bit of a conundrum with only one factory hold down bobbin on the battery tray. This is my method of  fitting a PC925 battery in the original location. I'm using an aluminum base plate to support the battery and hold down bracket. The base plate is secured by three bolts, one is the stock bobbin and two additional holes drilled in the right rear wheel arch. The hold down bracket for the battery is then bolted to the plate. The entire assembly can be removed by removing the three bolts and lifting out the base plate and battery.

This particular PC925 battery used was a spare I had sitting around for around three years intended for another car. Unfortunately for the S2, the positive terminal on this PC925 is on the wrong side of the battery. This forced a compromise in how the battery is oriented on the base plate and a need for a  slightly longer negative cable.

The hold down bracket has a bit of a Frankenstein look with the bolts securing the aluminum flat stock to the hinges. The bolts are probably overkill for the purpose, will use pop rivets next time for a cleaner appearance.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #18 on: Monday,July 18, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »
Nicely done. Looks very secure, and nice craftsmanship, too.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor