Author Topic: Strange reunion with 2943R... Forty years later.  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Strange reunion with 2943R... Forty years later.
« on: Friday,June 07, 2013, 05:10:56 PM »
 Well seems after some 40 years it still exists, albeit a bit shabby and needing some attention I stumbled across my original Europa. What are the chances?  I mean... you know sometimes wonder and remember things of past times, like the day you watched that favorite car you once had roll out from your driveway and then taking one last look as it drove away ... thought of her often and speculated what had happened ? Did she die in a crash, burn up, stolen, parted out ?

Purchased new at Marco Competition Enterprises in Montclair NJ 9/73. A four speed with JPS livery, our love affair only lasted  a short 2 years. The sale was needed to purchase a formula ford..The Lotus made me leave the street and head for the track.

Today, tucked away in a barn near Boston is 2943R patiently waiting for it's Phoenix to ride again.ld       

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Strange reunion with 2943R... Forty years later.
« Reply #1 on: Friday,June 07, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »
How on earth did you manage that find ?  Usually we've sold cars, sometimes to folks in the same town and yet never seen them again. It looks a real mess but I'd be strangely tempted I think, in fact I'm certain I'd be asking "how much ?"

Brian

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #2 on: Monday,June 10, 2013, 06:18:12 AM »
Wow! Cool story, Lou. I, too, am interested to know how you happed to find your old ride. She does look a right mess, but I've seen worse.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #3 on: Monday,June 10, 2013, 07:32:32 AM »
Happened to get an email from a fellow named Gregory Boshart, who had come across it and researched the vin. He found it  on Lotus central, and saw my postings of some real old pics of 2943. The current owner lives in Alabama and has this vacation rental venue in Massachusetts. Greg tells me the car is in sad shape, no engine or trans, parts boxes scattered about. There are some markings on the window that indicate a salvage yard had their hands on it. He offered $2500 as is, and was turned down...between the body recon and no drive train mechanicals a very fair offer I would think. Don't think it's going anywhere for now. To do it right your looking at 15-20k in parts & paint alone.ld     

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2013, 05:27:58 AM »
Interesting story. Kind of makes you wonder about the life the old girl has led. A rough one by the looks of it. I agree that the $2500 offered was more then fair.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline cal44

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2013, 06:51:21 AM »
oooo' another good story Lou.  I love a good find/re-find.

Two years ago a guy pulled back a hanger door at the local small airport, in it sat a '61 Fiat O.S.C.A twin cam Spider.
My dad had sold it in 1968................it still retained it's California black plates. 
mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #6 on: Friday,June 14, 2013, 02:54:16 AM »
Mike. I'm impressed not everyday you hear name Osca mentioned. Very few remember the car let alone what it looks like. Again while overseas in the next town over visiting my brother I ran into 2 of them both owned by the same gentleman. One for the steet and the other to play with. Both fine examples of that short lived brand....Take a look.

Offline cal44

« Reply #7 on: Friday,June 14, 2013, 07:12:54 AM »
Lou,
this is me in '66 with the Spider.  I could have bought it back from the guy for 5K but at the time we were doing a garage find Sunbeam Tiger and had two others stored so room was out of the question. 
Joe, sorry to hijack the thread.........I'll stop now.
mike

United States Marines

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,June 26, 2013, 07:20:41 PM »
Mike & Guys...I had to post this...
Mike your pictures reminded me of days long gone and how dated we really are. I looked very closely. The white wall tires, a Rambler parked in front, your haircut & fashion of the day.  I think I had a shirt just like it....Well here's a laugh for everyone to enjoy. Easter Sunday 1974...Boy, I think I looked like a hit man, dealer, pimp and disco freak all rolled into one...Check out the leather hat and the wrapped Fig tree!...ps... My Aunt got the ride of her life to Church that morning. ld   

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #9 on: Thursday,June 27, 2013, 08:06:54 AM »
Fantastic picture. I love the period vibe. Too cool.

Trevor

Offline 3929R

« Reply #10 on: Monday,July 01, 2013, 08:07:47 AM »
 :coolpic:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline cal44

« Reply #11 on: Monday,July 01, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »
Lou,
looks like you could have been in a Peter Sellers movie..........I think I had a coat that looked very much like it.

mike
United States Marines