Author Topic: Southern California gathering & BBQ - July or August - Best time?  (Read 3117 times)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Southern California gathering & BBQ - July or August - Best time?
« on: Monday,May 12, 2014, 11:20:18 AM »
Summer is finally here. After another harsh and brutal winter here in Southern California it time to plan a summer gathering and BBQ.  :BBQ:    :beerchug:
I again would like to host a gathering at my shop here in Southern California. My shop is Located adjacent to the Orange County Airport in Costa Mesa Ca. I need some feed back on time. I'm thinking a Saturday sometime in late July or early August. The only restriction with respect to time is it can not be the weekend of August 14-17, 2014. That is the weekend for the Monterey Historic Gathering.

So all you Southern Californians lets hear some ideas. Hopefully by that time John will have is Overhaulin car running properly.
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline jjbunn

Re: Southern California gathering & BBQ - July or August - Best time?
« Reply #1 on: Monday,May 12, 2014, 03:56:17 PM »
Sounds great, Joe. If my S2 is ready by then I'd love to come along.

Online Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,May 13, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »
Joe, I personally have no preference to the date. What ever date you set, I'll be there. I'll try to drag Whit over this time with me.

Joji

Offline JLM

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,May 13, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »
I'll try to make it as well, no preference as to date. I'm retiring as of June 30 so should have plenty of extra time.
Larry Mullen
1973 Twin-Cam Special
1997 Saleen S-281
2004 WRX Wagon

Offline Valerio Leone

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,May 13, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
now i'm jealous. Officially.

;D

Offline Nitwit

• First Drove a 47 & 46 in 1967
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,May 13, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »
That's John Wayne Airport?  So about 50 crow miles from Palomar Airport in a Heli

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,May 13, 2014, 06:46:57 PM »
That's John Wayne Airport?  So about 50 crow miles from Palomar Airport in a Heli
Yes John Wayne Airport. See Whit your memory hasn't completely failed  :beerchug:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,May 14, 2014, 05:48:52 AM »
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline JLM

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,May 14, 2014, 11:48:34 AM »
Hey Joe:

You must have had a nice front row seat for the WW2 warbirds that were flying in & out of SNA this past week. I saw the B-17 and P-51 take-off a few times last Friday.
Larry Mullen
1973 Twin-Cam Special
1997 Saleen S-281
2004 WRX Wagon

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,May 14, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
Hey Joe:

You must have had a nice front row seat for the WW2 warbirds that were flying in & out of SNA this past week. I saw the B-17 and P-51 take-off a few times last Friday.
Also a B-24 and B-25 doing touch and goes all last week. I'm about 100 feet from the runway
« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 14, 2014, 12:54:02 PM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline mike.fobes

« Reply #10 on: Friday,June 06, 2014, 05:55:16 PM »
July or early August good for me. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Mike

Offline katanaman

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,June 12, 2014, 08:13:52 PM »
  John Wayne Airport, eh?  I remember being near that airport after I completed riding my bicycle from just south of Seattle to the border at Tijuana, in Sept. 1984.  I saw a car museum nearby called Cunningham and remembered it from old car magazines.  Went through it and Briggs was there, driving some ancient and cammy open wheeled 19 - teens racing car in the back lot.  Carefully.  I remember reading later that he was kind of forced into selling his collection due to increasing tax liabilities and the only stipulation he made was that the collection not be broken up.  Which it consequently was.  Nearly instantly.  Sickening.  Gives me inspiration to not bone preserving the Europa.  I have a Hot Wheels model of one of the Cunningham cars, a CR-4, I believe.  Nicer, larger models are hideously expensive.  I am happy I borrowed my sister's VW and visited that place during the week I stayed before flying home on my first airliner flight.
  Somehow the inspiration gotten from taking 3 1/2 hours to fly what I spent 16 days riding caused me to learn to fly, and eventually buy a Cessna 150 years later.  So expensive to fly now, I will remember that what it takes to restore the Europa pales compared to annualing an aircraft in the 13 years I had it, even a lowly C-150!

Offline JLM

« Reply #12 on: Friday,June 13, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »
Interesting you would remember the Cunningham museum. You must be as old as I am! I also visited the Cunningham in the mid 70's with my Dad. Don't recall much other than some old Ferrari's and such. The neighborhood around John Wayne is still pretty cool as far as motorsports is concerned. I work on the east side of the airport and have the opportunity to drive around the area almost daily. Aside from Joe's place (which is on the west side) there is Rolls Royce of Orange County, which also sells new/used Lotus (and Spyker!). Used to walk by there at lunch and check out the Evoras. Viking Motorsports used to be very near as well, was run by Harry Appleby, who passed away in 2013. He usually had 2-3 Europas and other Loti in his shop. A real character and knew his Lotus very well. Currently there are a few interesting shops very near Joe's plac. Just down the street is Stillen Performance, Rod Millens shop and race prep. He has a nice Ford GT as well as several older IMSA racers. Crevier Classic Cars has a nice museum also nearby, saw a Porsche 917 being prepared for vintage racing there.
Larry Mullen
1973 Twin-Cam Special
1997 Saleen S-281
2004 WRX Wagon