Author Topic: I am pleased I found this forum !  (Read 1955 times)

Offline gl6

Re: I am pleased I found this forum !
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,December 12, 2019, 11:20:51 PM »
Thanks everyone !

Yes, I race with Sovern (West coast USA)
Yes, that is a 'snorkel' for looking behind.
Over the Christmas break I'll take and share many more images.

This car has a really interesting history.   It was the Renault Team race car.  Walter Koopman driver.
History and story below from Walter Koopman.

A brief history:
Serial Number: 460504

This is perhaps the only works-supported Lotus Europa-Renault in North America, even more unusual as it was campaigned not by Lotus Racing but by Team Renault. It has a documented race history including running a 4th at the 1971 SCCA National at Watkins Glen.

In 1970 Renault had a solid sales footing in the US and was actively promoting an agressive performance image.  The compeition director was Ocee Rich (a Seminole Indian) and he was interested in advancing Renault's performance image into road racing. He later was responsible for creating the SCCA Sports Renault (Spec Racer) class.
Walter Koopman, a well-known racer of French road racing cars (LeMans), approached Ocee about the possibility of preparing one of the new Lotus Renault Europas for SCCA competition. Ocee readily agreed, a support agreement was reached, with special engines and gearboxes being supplied by Team Renault.

With the budget from Team Renault, Walt made up a shopping list of just about every Renault and Europa tuning part available (and most of this collection is still with the car). Special assistance was provided from Renault with engine preparation and a special cam grind was done by Lunati along with competition head, rods and pistons from Gordini.
The car was painted in USA national racing colors, white with a blue center stripe.  Prominent "Team Renault" logos with the Renault Diamond were painted on the rear "wings". The livery was dictated by Team Renault. Walt was also required to obtain an FIA license and list Team Renault as entrant, in order for Renault to be able to trumpet any track success.

The car's first outing was at an SCCA National at Watkins Glen. At this time the SCCA seemed determined to handicap Lotus cars, the history of the classification of the Lotus Seven being a perfect example. They did not intend making things easy on the Europa either and decided to classify it in D production, essentially a 3 litre class for things like Big Healeys and Alfas. The Europa acquitted itself well, however. To quote from "The Renault Guide", 1st Quarter 1972, Vol. 1, No. 1, a promotional publication by Renault USA, in "Team Renault News";
"Another Renault-powered machine, the Lotus-Europa driven by Walter Koopman, which entered the fray late in the season, demonstrated that it will be a contender by closing quickly from last in a field of 44 at Watkins Glen to Fourth”
Walt remembers that his best result was a third at a Summit Point event, and the car was run a full season of Nationals and Regionals in 71/72. Outings also included Nelson, Bridgehampton, and Bryar. The car has tech stickers from the Glen and Summit Point in 1971 still in place.

Offline gl6

« Reply #16 on: Thursday,December 12, 2019, 11:31:13 PM »
A couple pictures from racing.
More later.
« Last Edit: Thursday,December 12, 2019, 11:33:56 PM by gl6 »

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #17 on: Thursday,December 12, 2019, 11:34:33 PM »
Any video of your car?  The photos are awesome by the way.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #18 on: Friday,December 13, 2019, 05:48:51 AM »
 That is a fantastic car with a great story!  Welcome to the group.  :Welcome:
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Friday,December 13, 2019, 06:07:11 AM »
Beautiful car and very interesting history! I look forward to seeing more pictures (and a video?!)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday,December 17, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »
Definitely a very cool Europa with a great history. Also cool that it still wears some historic tech stickers. Does the car still carry much of its period hardware?
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline gl6

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday,December 18, 2019, 10:20:28 PM »
Yes, I tried my best to make it period correct.  I worked with Walter Koopman (the driver) to make it right.  And he helped a lot.

I must take a load of pictures and post them.  The hidden interior roll cage is a work of art.  It ties the rear shock mounts to the central roll bar and then to the front shock mount box section.
A clever design. And stiffens the car considerably.

And the transaxle shift mechanism designed and executed by Team Renault is really very nice.

Offline BDA

« Reply #22 on: Thursday,December 19, 2019, 06:12:10 AM »
I'd love to see those pictures! An interior roll cage must truly be a work of art! It sounds more interesting every time you post! You better post some pictures soon!  ;D

Offline gl6

« Reply #23 on: Saturday,December 21, 2019, 02:43:05 PM »
Pictures of the shifter.
It is quite nice to shift.  Smooth and precise.
I don't have experience with a 'normal' Europa - so I don't have any comparison
But this is certainly well sorted.

Offline gl6

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,December 21, 2019, 02:44:48 PM »
And a few pics of the roll cage

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #25 on: Monday,January 06, 2020, 01:25:56 PM »
Hey Greg,

You have a great looking S1. I am curious how much your car weighs with the cage? I have an S1A and the body is quite a bit more robust than that of my S2 or TC.

Offline gl6

« Reply #26 on: Thursday,January 09, 2020, 09:26:29 PM »
You know, I am not certain. I'll be going over the set-up in the coming weeks getting ready for racing, and I'll put the scale under each wheel and tell you.