Author Topic: Windscreen glass  (Read 1502 times)

Offline buzzer

Windscreen glass
« on: Tuesday,September 05, 2017, 11:25:15 PM »
As I am about to buy my windscreen I thought is was worth asking others advice on where best to get the screen. The car is a TCS so a bonded in screen.
Over the years I have noted that on this forum others have had experiences of variances of sizes of screens supplied so the screen does not fit properly. Sources in the Uk are Pilkinton and through Banks ( I don't know what his sources is) or a second hand screen.
After any advice from those who have fitted a screen, on where they got it and any issues.

Thanks
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Windscreen glass
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,September 06, 2017, 01:58:46 AM »
I'd imagine that the only source over here stems from Pilks even if they are sold by SJS, Banks or Matty's.  I bought mine years ago through Chris Neil but they no longer support the older cars as much but even so it was Pilks supply.

I think the fitting problems have been mainly across the pond. It's been discussed on the Yahoo group and I think someone here (John ?) posted about the size differences they had over there.  I'd imagine going through Banks would be a pretty safe bet.

Brian 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,September 06, 2017, 06:08:21 AM »
Pilkington Classic sells them both in the UK and the US.  They are the real deal and fit perfectly.  Pretty sure ( as above) that is what everyone in the  UK sells.

Prosourse Glass in the US used to bring in Chinese knock-offs.  In a bonded application they were ok-ish.  In the earlier gasket held cars, not a chance.  They now sell only the Pilkington screen.

I was the unlucky sod who found this out and Prosourse did absolutely nothing for me: lots of talk but, in the end, nothing.  I bought my next screen directly from Pilkington Classic in the US.  They were much cheaper and the shipping costs half of what Prosourse charged me.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,September 06, 2017, 06:16:52 AM »
I think all modern windshields filter UV. Do these windshields filter UV too?

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,September 06, 2017, 06:23:45 AM »
Just had mine supplied and fitted to 4688R by AWG in Norfolk for £370 + VAT. Green tint.

He primed the window surround in some matt black stuff, did the same to the glass, fitted the chrome surround to the glass using narrow double sided tape, fitted the corner pieces easing them to fit with narrow pliers, then used a fancy mastic gun to put a V of black mastic all around, then fitted the screen, and used masking tape to apply pressure to all 4 corners while the mastic dried. He them comes back to fill the corners under the corner trims with mastic after the screen mastic has dried.

Fit my screen only, £85.00 + VAT

He did a dry run before priming to ensure fit, and then a dry run with all the trim in place before putting the mastic on the surround.

Make sure he does not put the black primer on the screen too wide to obscure the ally VIN number plate down there.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 02:06:24 AM »
Thanks guys some good advice. Alex, did you use the original trim or did you use the trim from Banks?
That sounds good finding someone who know how to do it too and a decent price.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,September 07, 2017, 12:03:35 PM »
New Banks chrome trim.