Author Topic: Windscreen chrome trim challenge  (Read 5828 times)

Offline 3929R

Re: Windscreen chrome trim challenge
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,January 21, 2016, 07:48:08 PM »
I wonder if we're all talking (or thinking) about the same thing. IIRC my molding had an 'L' shaped flange under the chrome "molding part' that grabbed the windshield. The moldings people seem to be showing are flat. Does flat molding seal properly?
Yes the stock molding has a flange but I'm not sure how it would help with sealing the windscreen. I think the seal is made with the sealant (can't remember what it's called at the moment, but the black sticky goop). The stock molding might even hinder a good seal. Others seem to have left it off completely.

In my original post I was showing an alternative that worked for me. The stock molding on my car looked like crap and couldn't be replaced without removing the windscreen (and risking breaking it in the process). I installed the flat alternative without removing the windscreen, it was inexpensive, I think it turned out well, and it still looks good after three years (not sure how long it will last, but not sure how long the original molding lasted).
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Thursday,January 21, 2016, 08:43:24 PM »
So your molding just covers the gap between the glass and the body?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #17 on: Thursday,January 21, 2016, 08:48:45 PM »
On the later cars the the windshield is glued in place.  The chrome moulding is purely decorative.  On the early cars the chrome strip helps the rubber to grip tighter -- still requires extensive use of sealant to keep the water out.

Offline BDA

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,January 21, 2016, 09:42:49 PM »
My car has the molding with the flange for the glass. I had a windshield guy instal the windshield. He used something that took a day to cure and he would make no guarantees (I don't remember what his complaint was), but it has never leaked. Now the doors, that's another story!   :(

Offline 3929R

« Reply #19 on: Friday,January 22, 2016, 08:34:39 AM »
So your molding just covers the gap between the glass and the body?
Yes. It's just there to look pretty.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Friday,January 22, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »
It does its job well!  :)

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,January 23, 2016, 09:09:32 PM »
Here is how mine ended up: I had to use cut pieces at the corners. It looks OK from about 10ft away. I'm not very happy with it, but it will do for now.

The local Pep Boys had some of the 3/4" Cowles strip referred to in this thread, and they opened a pack of it for me to try bending - it didn't bend any more than the stuff I have, so I didn't get it.