Author Topic: Which coilovers for an early S2  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Runningwild

Which coilovers for an early S2
« on: Tuesday,November 03, 2015, 01:30:58 PM »
I have an early 68 S2. It takes the small diameter spring and perch like the S1.  My koni's won't fit. I've seen spax and AVO in the posts.  Banks has the AVO complete kit.  Spax are very expensive without the springs.  Any body have any suggestions?   Front suspension is done except the shocks. What a job!!!!!!!!!!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Which coilovers for an early S2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2015, 02:12:59 PM »
Hi,

I'm sure you'll get both good and bad reports about all the common damper manufacturers so I think it's a bit of a minefield and one of those "pay your money, take your choice" things.  If you want the complete kit then I would think buying from Richard (Banks) is a safe bet, but no doubt you've got US suppliers who can do similar deals and might be cheaper for you ?  As for manufacturers I've had both Protech and Avo adjustable dampers in recent years and both seem to do the job. No recent experience of Spax though.

As an aside, would it be possible to fit different collars to your Koni dampers and hence the smaller diameter springs you need ? That might be a cheaper option if your dampers are good.

Brian

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2015, 02:41:02 PM »
The PO said the koni's were rebuilt at the factory so they might be ok.  I'll look into that. Would make it easier and cheaper till the car is running.  Thanks. Tom

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »
I'm surprised that your Konis won't fit! My memory was that the original shocks for the TC were similar to the S2 and they had a larger diameter spring than what you would fit on Konis, Spax, AVO, etc... In what way don't they fit?

The PO is right that Konis are rebuildable. I believe I had a set of them rebuilt many years ago but I eventually went to Spax and I have no complaints other than the steel housing allows the threaded part to get rusty. You might give Dave Bean or r.d. enterprises a call to see what they have. Failing that, Richard will always have the right stuff. I have some springs of different lengths and rates. If you're interested, PM me.

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2015, 06:05:43 PM »
Dave Bean has the smaller springs. Need to find a smaller Koni top perch to match the spring. I'll call Dave tomorrow.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2015, 10:51:17 PM »
I'm sure Dave will be able to sort you out, but if not they are available from most suppliers, for example -

http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/brand/koni/part-type/coil-spring-seats

If your Koni's have been rebuilt they should be good as new and it would be a shame to throw them away before at least trying them out on the car.

Brian

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,November 04, 2015, 07:21:38 AM »
These guys supply Gaz coil overs for Locosts/Seven replicas. They may have the smaller shocks and springs needed for the S1s. If you do contact them, let me know if they do.

http://www.kineticvehicles.com/Shocks.html

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, CA