Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

Paint restoration

<< < (2/4) > >>

surfguitar58:

--- Quote from: dakazman on Monday,December 04, 2017, 05:32:37 PM ---Here is a sample of where my paint is now at 2000 wet sanded  . The reflection is a guide as to the
Straightness and level ness. I’m going to 5000 in steps the a 3 part process with compounds and polishes. No wax till 6 months later .

--- End quote ---
That is the finish we can all aspire to. Way more than I can ever hope to get out of my 45 yo factory finish. Nice execution on the flares btw, can’t wait to see the finished product.

dakazman:
 Your paint is probably still good , it just needs a makeover. I will not say it’s a wipe on wipe off lol
A simple surface sanding with  1500 in a test  2 inch in the underside area followed by this
3 step process will give you renewed view of your paint .  See picture
Different foam pads have different cutting properties, a great but very boring  video on you tube .

Thank you for your comment on flares.

Dakazman

surfguitar58:

--- Quote from: dakazman on Tuesday,December 05, 2017, 06:19:55 AM --- Your paint is probably still good , it just needs a makeover. I will not say it’s a wipe on wipe off lol
A simple surface sanding with  1500 in a test  2 inch in the underside area followed by this
3 step process will give you renewed view of your paint .  See picture
Different foam pads have different cutting properties, a great but very boring  video on you tube .

Thank you for your comment on flares.

Dakazman

--- End quote ---

These are the worst paint problem areas. Fortunately most of the paint is blister-free. Also note these pics were taken by the PO before the car was washed after 10 years of storage. Lotus paint code is L04 or “Cirrus White”.

I realize the perfectionists among us will say a respray is in order here, but I have come to realize I have bought myself a preservation car. Everything on the car is original or reversible at this point. My goal is just to get what I have looking as good as it can get, warts and all.

Don’t get me wrong, I love and respect the innovative highly modified Loti I see in this forum. I’m even a bit envious. Perhaps if this Europa disease metastasizes I’ll find a nice S2 and do it MY WAY, and park them next to each other.

jbcollier:
If you try to buff those blisters out, you'll most likely be left with a pockmarked finish.  Leave it as it is and just wash and wax it.

dakazman:
I’m sorry to agree with JB , do not sand , even compounding may open the void in the blisters exposing the fiberglass. There is a wax wash that cleans down to the paint removing a lot of road
Debris , it’s a wipe on wipe process which will leave you with a clean surface to just apply wax .
Dakazman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version