Author Topic: Newbie with motor mount question  (Read 1303 times)

Offline 1808

• dshikoski.com
Newbie with motor mount question
« on: Sunday,January 24, 2016, 04:16:40 AM »
I've been a watcher of the forum for a couple of years and thought I'd post a hello from Northern Michigan.  I started my Europa life with a 69 S2 that needed a lot of attention.  That gave me a lot of experience and excitement about working on and driving a great sports car.  I'm always impressed with the handling of these cars.  A car gathering, here in Traverse City, lead me to a 74 Twin Cam Special that had been parked for 20 years and for sale.  How could I pass that up?!  The engine was frozen and the breaks were dry but it was all there.  My web site, on the rebuild, is at http://dshikoski.com/ with pictures and ramblings.  The 69 is now for sale and the 74 now is getting all of my attention.

So... I'm at the point of putting the engine back into the car, after being out of the car for two months, and have a question.  The forward motor mounts are two different lengths.  Does the longer bracket go on the exhaust side or the carburetor side?  I currently have the engine hanging in the compartment with the long one on the carb side and it seems that the transmission mount doesn't seem to line up cleanly... before I 'force' the fit I thought I'd ask others who may know :confused:

Thanks ahead of time.
« Last Edit: Sunday,January 24, 2016, 05:45:14 AM by 1808 »
1974 Europa Special

Offline jbcollier

Re: Newbie with motor mount question
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,January 24, 2016, 05:36:36 AM »
This link will work:

http://www.dshikoski.com

Don't have a TC but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,January 24, 2016, 08:36:48 AM »
On my 73 TCS, the longer engine mount bracket goes on the exhaust (left ) side of the engine. Should add that the end where the bracket bolts to the engine mount on the frame, bolts up behind the tab.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca
« Last Edit: Sunday,January 24, 2016, 08:52:39 AM by Grumblebuns »

Offline 1808

• dshikoski.com
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,January 24, 2016, 08:54:16 AM »
Thanks for taking a look and reporting Grumblebuns.  I should have been more careful about documenting and labeling.

UPDATE:  Yes, the longer engine mount bracket does go on the exhaust side (left as you're looking at the engine from the rear of the car) of the engine.
« Last Edit: Sunday,January 24, 2016, 02:27:09 PM by 1808 »
1974 Europa Special